October Recipe of the Month
Roasted Spanish Pepitas
Pepitas = Shelled Pumpkin Seed
Pepitas are a great Autumn snack filled with protein and antioxidants. They are also very tasty tossed into your salad! Pepitas can be sourced 3 ways:
- Buy them in bulk raw;
- Harvest them straight out of a Hulless Pumpkin like a Kakai Pumpkin (pictured above);
- Harvest them out of a normal Orange Pumpkin but you will need to shell them out of the large white seeds which is a bit time consuming.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees;
2. Spread 4 Cups of Dried Pepitas on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment;
3. In a bowl combine one teaspoon of each of the following: cumin, coriander, chili powder, paprika and garlic salt and mix;
4. Add 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil to spices and mix;
5. Drizzle spiced oil mixture over Pepitas on baking sheet;
6. Roast in oven for 40 minutes.
7. Let cool before storing in an airtight container.